الخميس، 1 يونيو 2023

“Zach’s Animals” English worksheet

 “Zach’s Animals”

Reading Comprehension – Short Stories

My name is Zach.

I have a bird. She flies.

I have a dog. He is white.

I have a pig. He is very dirty.

I have a rabbit. She has a lot of hair.


Sometimes I feel like I live in a zoo.

The name of my bird is Sky.

The name of my dog is Snow.

The name of my rabbit is Fur Ball.

I do not have a name for my pig yet.

I want to have a lamb.

I want to have a kitten.

I want to have a duck.

Mom says, “Not yet.”

I can’t live without my animals.


Questions:

1) Why is Snow a good name for Zach's dog?

A. because he is cold

B. because he is white

C. because he eats snow

D. because he plays in snow


2) Which animals does Zach want?

I. a pig

II. a duck

III. a kitten

A. I only

B. I and II

C. II and III

D. I, II, and III


3) Zach’s pig is

A. fat

B. dirty

C. sweet

D. cute


4) Zach says, "I can't live without my

animals." What does he mean?

A. He will die without animals.

B. He loves his animals a lot.

C. He has lost all his animals.

D. He wants his animals in the house.


5) What can we say about Zack?

A. He is a man.

B. He likes clean animals.

C. He lives in a zoo.

D. He wants more animals.


6) What can be said about Zach from this story?

A. He lives in a zoo.

B. He wants a horse.

C. He likes animals.

D. He has six animals.


7) Which animals does Zach have?

I. a rabbit

II. a lamb

III. a duck

A. I only

B. I and II

C. II and III

D. I, II, and III


8) Zach's pig is very dirty. What could be a good name for him?

A. Muddy

B. Oink

C. Pinkie

D. Porky


9) Why is Sky a good name for Zach's bird?

A. She is blue.

B. That is where she lives.

C. That is where she flies.

D. That is where Zach found her.


10) How many animals does Zach have?

A. two

B. four

C. six

D. seven


Do you like animals? Do you have any pets? Why or why not?

_________________________________________

_________________________________________

________________________________________________________________________



Answers and Explanations

1) B

In paragraph 2, Zach tells us, “I have a dog. He is white.” Because snow is

also white, “Snow” is a good name for Zack’s dog. Therefore (B) is correct.

The story does not provide information to support answer choices (A), (C),

and (D). Therefore they are incorrect.

2) C

In paragraph 2, we learn Zach already has a pig. This eliminates option (I). In

paragraph 5, Zach says, “I want to have a duck.” This supports option (II).

Also in paragraph 5, Zach says, “I want to have a kitten.” This supports

option (III). Therefore (C) is correct.

3) B

In paragraph 2, Zach says, “I have a pig. He is very dirty.” This lets us know

that Zach’s pig is dirty. Therefore (B) is correct. The story does not provide

information to support answer choices (A), (C), and (D). Therefore they are

incorrect.

4) B

When Zach says, “I can’t live without my animals,” he means that he loves his

animals a lot. People sometimes say they can’t live without things that they

love in order to show how important those things are. It is not a literal saying,

which means that it does not mean exactly what it says. Rather, it is a figure

of speech. Therefore (B) is correct.

A literal interpretation of this sentence is that Zach will die without his animals.

However, this does not make sense because we know people cannot die

from not having animals. Zach means this sentence in a figurative way

instead of a literal way. He wants to show how much he cares about his

animals. Therefore (A) is incorrect. There is nothing in the story to support the

idea that Zach has lost all his animals. Therefore (C) is incorrect. We do not

know from the story whether Zach’s animals live inside the house or outside.

We also do not know where Zach wants them to live. Therefore (D) is

incorrect.

5) D

In paragraph 5, Zach tells us that he still wants a lamb, a kitten, and a duck.

We can understand that this means he wants more animals. Therefore (D) is

correct.

The story does not provide information to support answer choices (A) or (B).

Therefore they are incorrect. When Zach says, “Sometimes I feel like I live in

a zoo,” he means he has a lot of animals. He is not saying that he really lives

in a zoo. Therefore (C) is incorrect.

6) C


From the number of animals that Zach has and the number of animals that he

wants, we can understand that Zach likes animals. Therefore (C) is correct.

In the middle of the story, Zach says, “Sometimes I feel like I live in a zoo.”

This means he has a lot of animals, not that he actually lives in a zoo.

Therefore (A) is incorrect. The story does not provide information to support

answer choices (B) and (D). Therefore they are incorrect.

7) A

In paragraph 2, Zach says, “I have a rabbit.” This supports option (I). In

paragraph 5, Zach says that he wants both a lamb and a duck. We can

understand from this information that Zach does not have a lamb or a duck.

This eliminates options (II) and (III). Therefore (A) is correct.

8) A

We learn in paragraph 2 that Zach’s pig is “very dirty.” Because mud is also

very dirty, Muddy would be a good name for Zach’s pig. Therefore (A) is

correct. Although the other answer choices are all related to pigs, there is no

information in the story that makes one of them a better choice than the

others. Therefore (B), (C), and (D) are incorrect.

9) C

In paragraph 2, we learn that Zach’s bird flies. Most birds fly in the sky. This

makes Sky a good name for Zach’s bird. Therefore (C) is correct.

We are not told anywhere in the passage that Zach’s bird is blue. Therefore

(A) is incorrect. Birds that are not pets usually live in the sky. Pet birds like

Sky, Zach’s bird, do not live in the sky. They usually live in cages. Therefore

(B) is incorrect. The story does not say that Zach found his bird in the sky.

Therefore (D) is incorrect.

10)B

In paragraph 2, Zach tells us about the animals he has. We learn he has a

bird, a dog, a rabbit, and a pig. When we count Zach’s animals, we learn that

he has 4 of them. Therefore (B) is correct. The story does not provide

information to support answer choices (A), (C), and (D). Therefore they are

incorrect.

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق

اكتب لنا ما يراودك من مواضيع ترغب في الاطلاع عليها

( محو الامية المالية Financial literacy)

 هل ترغبون في معرفة المزيد عن المال وكيفية التعامل معه بذكاء؟ اليوم سنتعلم سوياً كيف نكون أذكياء مالياً  اليوم سندخل في رحلة ممتعة إلى عالم ...